Thursday, April 25, 2013

Making Mah Own

I recently had a bout with a rash. Real classy. I was covered in red itchy bumps all over my forearms and legs. It. was. not. fun.

This has happened before and I attributed it to artificial sweeteners. They are not good for you in large amounts, so after some Benadryl and cutting those out of my diet I called it cured.

This time I did the same thing and it did not go away. Nothing helped. Rash gel, lotion, alcohol, Benadryl (helped but it didn't go away), hot water (um- don't try that. hurts like... well you know), cold water. Nada.

 So after about two months, I decided to take everyone's advice and change laundry detergent. I had been using the same stuff well before I got the rash- but I was ready to try anything to make the wretched itching stop.

Instead of spending the big bucks on what I usually get, I decided to peruse the 'net and take a shot at making it myself.

Not only did I succeed at making my own detergent- it was cheap, easy, will last forever, it worked, and my rash is GONE!

The super simple how to:

Homemade Laundry Detergent
Ingredients
All of which can be found at Wal-Mart for less than 10 buckaroos. Woot!
1 large box of Borax
1 large box of Baking Soda (or Washing Soda. either one)
3 bars of Fels-Naptha soap
A large container for the detergent (this recipe makes a lot!)


Step One
Grate the Fels-Naptha soap bars with a cheese grater.


Step Two
Combine borax and baking soda. Fold in the grated soap.


Step Three
Do a happy dance, because you are done!!


Toss 2-3 tbsp into each load of clothes you wash. The Fels-Naptha soap smells so clean and good and this is safe for energy efficient machines because it does not produce a lot of suds. Clothes come out clean and fresh and my whites are brighter than evah!

Ready for a surprise?! I was on a roll- so I also made my own fabric softener!!! And guess what else? It's even cheaper and just as easy and effective as the detergent!!

Homemade Fabric Softener
Ingredients
1 bottle of hair conditioner (brand and scent of choice- I used Suave Green Apple because it's $1 a bottle)
6 cups of hot water
3 cups of vinegar

Step One
Whisk together the hair conditioner and hot water until well incorporated and smooth. Gradually add vinegar and mix well.


Pour into your container of choice and enjoy! This can be measured and used the same way as store bought fabric softener. I was worried the mixture would separate, but I made another batch to fill up my container and a few weeks later it's still well mixed and gives my clothes a light apple scent without being too strong. And don't worry- you won't smell the vinegar at all!


And there you have it! Around 15 bucks and I have laundry detergent and fabric softener for months!

Seriously- if you have ever wanted to try it but haven't known where to start or what to do, please give it a shot! It is foolproof and you won't regret the savings and fact that you know exactly what is cleaning your clothes (no crazy chemicals! yay!).

Next time I'll be sharing the deets on our baby deck garden. I guess I'm a full on hippie now. Groovy :)

Peace out,
-A

No comments:

Post a Comment