Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Resolutions

Oh yes. The time is upon us! As this brand spankin' new year approaches, I can't help but sit back and think on some 'resolutions'. Oh of course I've thought of the typical 'lose weight, be nicer, find a cure for cancer, etc, etc', BUT (and this may be a resolution in and of itself) I want to make some really good, realistic, challenging, relevant resolutions this year. I don't know about you, but often throughout the year I get stuck in a rut. I don't like who I am at those times; I feel like I've lost my happy, jolly self and don't know what to do. I'm resolving this year to make some important changes.

1) Get in shape. I know what you're thinking- "You just said that was typical!". Well making a big push to lose holiday weight is always a big deal, but that's not what I'm talking about. This past year I lived a very unhealthy lifestyle, and it has taken its toll. My skin, my weight, my moods, my energy- no good!! I'm resolving to cut out simple carbs (this is kind of necessary due to insulin resistance I have developed) and to begin exercising regularly to get in shape!! This is going to be a biggie- and probably the hardest for me.

2) Commit to keeping my house clutter free. I'm a pack rat. I married a pack rat. I have seen way too many hoarders episodes to be comfortable keeping junk anymore. So in 2012 I will continue de-cluttering and keeping my house simple and neat. I'm very excited about this one! Less clutter leads to more projects! And we all know I love projects!!

3) Be committed to serving in a church. God led us in an unexpected direction church-wise this year and it has been awesome to see God bless our obedience, but it is hard to get plugged into and committed to another church. Please pray for us that our hearts will ignite with passion and we will find a place to serve.

4) Get out of debt!! Honestly, I don't really consider 2 credit cards and a home loan a lot of debt but it's important to me to be debt free. We need to purchase another vehicle and will not be able to do so until I get these credit cards off my back.

5) Save, save, save money!!!! Our responsibility with money has matured a whole HECK of a lot (I'm not sure how much a heck is, but it's gotta be a bunch!); however, in order to visit one of my best friends in England, feel comfortable talking about having babies, visit precious friends that live in California, and be able to pay our bills without ridiculous juggling and pushing due dates- we gotta get ahead of the game. Paycheck to paycheck ain't gonna work.

Over all, I think this is a good start. There are lots of other things I would love to work on when it comes to improving myself. It's my firm belief we need to strive to improve. Being content with how we are leads to laziness and complacency. Don't get me wrong! You should love who you are!! For sure! But you shouldn't make excuses for habits and quirks that you know are not letting you live the best life you could. Trust me- I've been through a lot this year and I know.

Dealing with a terrible workplace at the beginning of this year, working for someone who enjoyed breaking down my confidence and self esteem, eventually losing my job due to said person, being forced to find a job a week before I got married, running my credit cards to the max to afford my simple wedding, working so hard to convince an underwriter to approve my home loan, dealing with a variety of serious medical issues, eating spaghetti over and over because we couldn't afford groceries for a few months, and struggling to understand my role as a wife the first 6 months of my marriage almost broke me. Like I said, I know.

But I can still look at this year and my eyes mist over at the incredible amount of blessings I've experienced- having the man God hand picked for me ask me to spend the rest of my life with him, becoming a homeowner and moving into a beautiful house, being showered with love and gifts by so many family and friends before we got married, finding another teaching job before I even got married at a place where I am valued and praised for my very hard work, adding a sweet little girl named Kina and a mischievous little guy named Maverick to our small family, walking down the aisle in a gorgeous dress to become the Mrs. to my very best friend, and because of that acquiring a new family who's been so incredibly helpful and along with the rest of our family been our cheerleaders, and finally reaching a place in our marriage where we understand each other and spend our evenings together, not against one another. Boy am I blessed!!

And I cannot wait to see what next year has in store!!

Until the new year,

2 comments:

  1. LOVE THIS!!!! My favs were the out of debt and serving in a church. I am right there with you! Wishing you the best in 2012! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great! I definitely need to make progress on these things.

    ReplyDelete